Random Rock | Queensryche

Posted by Allister Fiend in ,

For some reason when I first heard Queesnryche I thought they were a band from Europe. I don’t know if it was the uniqueness of Geoff Tate’s vocals or what. Then finding out they were from Washington it was about the same thing. We had not heard a whole lot out of the Pacific Northwest (ohhhh we will in about 10 years….).

My first exposure to them I believe was on a cheap compilation tape I had picked up. It had the song Lady Wore Black on it.






The break out deal…for the most part…was the concept album “Operation Mindcrime” in 1988. I was playing bass at the time and loved the bassline in I don’t Believe in Love. I remember they had an opening slot for Metallica (although they were no longer on the bill when I saw Metallica that year) which helped tremendously. A friend of mine got to catch that show in Peoria, Illinois and loved them.

Like with most bands, they didn’t get huge until the mandatory ballad. Silent Lucidity took them over the top for a while. Performing the song on the MTV Music Awards with a full string section was awesome.

Anyway, enough babble. Let’s watch some videos…

Eyes of a Stranger



I Don't Believe in Love



Empire


Silent Lucidity (Live MTV Music Awards)




tag: , , , , , ,

0 comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

The long haired kid in the small Iowa town. "I dove into the 80’s Hard Rock head first…literally. In 8th grade I started letting my hair grow. I’ll be honest, the intentions were for a rat tail. Remember those? One strip of long hair hanging off the back as the rest was short? Yes, the rat tail was going to be my first rebellion tool against my mother. Then I realized it could be so much more. It was 1984..." The rest of the story...