Random Rock | Asphalt Ballet

Posted by Allister Fiend in , ,


One of my favorite bands from the early 90's was Asphalt Ballet. It's unfourtunate that they arrived on the music seen when they had because there was about to be a major hit to hard rock.

From Sleeze Roxx:

Formed in San Diego, California by Gary Jeffries (ex-Broken Rule, vocals), and former Mistreated members Danny Clarke (guitar), Julius J. Ulrich (guitar), Terry Phillips (bass) and Mikki Kiner (drums). They were able to gain a loyal following in the Los Angeles bar circuit, which got the attention of Virgin records. The debut was a raunchy all out rocker that infused generous amounts of blues and melody, with Jeffries' gravely delivery bringing everything together. However minor airplay of singles such as "Soul Survive" and "Tuesday's Rain" failed to put the band over.


I caught these guys when they opened up for Great White at a bar in Cedar Rapids, IA called Big Dogs (Now 3rd Street Live). They were touring in support of their "PIGS" album. To this day it is one of my favorite CD's. Below is the video for Angry Youth, which comes off of PIGS. The others are off of their self titled debut album.
Angry Youth



Soul Survive


Unlucky Mr. Unlucky


Tuesday's Rain


Add Asphalt Ballet at MySpace!

tag: , , , ,

0 comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

The long haired kid in the small Iowa town. "I dove into the 80’s Hard Rock head first…literally. In 8th grade I started letting my hair grow. I’ll be honest, the intentions were for a rat tail. Remember those? One strip of long hair hanging off the back as the rest was short? Yes, the rat tail was going to be my first rebellion tool against my mother. Then I realized it could be so much more. It was 1984..." The rest of the story...